I was born in Melbourne, Australia to a migrant family and now live and paint from the NSW South Coast, with my partner and four children; nestled between the escarpment and the sea in Thirroul, after living in Canberra, Scotland, Finland and Sydney.
Drawing and painting has been a core part of my life for the past 20 years (since girlhood!) This culminated in some form in 2015 whilst on maternity leave with my second child and I started to take portrait commissions and opened an Etsy Shop (www.etsy.com/shop/msanhpaints), offering other original artworks and giclee fine art prints. I have no formal Fine Arts education and emotionally, it was a large step for me to do this and share my work. But no regrets!
Typically I use acrylics on paper or canvas, but I also enjoy watercolours; drawing, of course, with oil stick and soft pastels; monoprints & painting on ceramics.
Anh Nguyen (b. 1984, Melbourne, Australia)
Awards and Prizes
2019 – Winner; Basil Sellers Art Prize, Basil Sellers Exhibition Centre, Moruya NSW
2017- Finalist; Eutick Memorial Still Life Award (EMSLA), Project Contemporary Artspace, Wollongong NSW
2016 – Finalist, St George Art Awards, Hurstville Museum and Gallery, Hurstville NSW
2016 – Finalist, Little Things Art Prize, Saint Cloche Gallery, Paddington NSW
- March 2019 – Forthcoming group exhibition at Special Group Studios (formerly The Ray Hughes Gallery) in Surrey Hills, NSW – curated by Amber Creswell Bell
- October 2018 – Scarborough Art Show, Scarborough NSW
- August 2018 – Group Exhibition, Walcha Gallery, Walcha NSW
- March 2018 – “This Life Just Once” (link to catalogue); 2 person exhibition alongside Dee Smart at Walcha Gallery, Walcha NSW
- Nov 2017 -“Christmas Exhibition”; group exhibition at AK Bellinger Gallery, Inverell NSW
- Oct 2017 – Scarborough Art Show, Scarborough NSW
- Aug 2017 – “A Certain Slant of Light” (link to catalogue); group exhibition at Saint Cloche Gallery in Paddington NSW – curated by Amber Creswell Bell
- Oct 2016 – Scarborough Art Show, Scarborough NSW
- April 2016 – Thirroul Seaside and Arts Festival, Thirroul NSW
Other areas of interest
2018 – Painting & textile collaboration with Ginny & Jude, a Sydney based label, for their 10th year anniversary AW18 collection “Little Girl Blue” (link )
2017 – The Lifestyle Edit – Interview with Kate Swinson
2016 – Winner, IWD Power Voice Poetry competition for “My Kind” (link)
2015 – Winner, Etsy Resolution competition for new Etsy sellers
2011 – “Odes to Oddity”, self-published collaboration of poems & selected drawings